Thursday, October 4, 2012

Word Work Stations

Before I even start, I just have to say that I have a serious love for colored index cards and Avery labels.   With that said, I can tell you about these stations that my Firsties enjoy.
 I really LOVE Word Work Stations!  I am amazed at how much my students learn from these.  The first station (pictured above) was for Cause and Effect.  It was just a simple way for them to make up the Cause that went with the Effect.  Plus, it was good practice for writing, writing sentences correctly and reading them to make sure they made sense.   

 I use the Stamping Station every other week or so.  They love this one!  Normally, I have words written in the first column.  But, since this is a review week- they are able to write their own words and then stamp them out.  This Melissa and Doug Stamping Set has been the best one I have found!  It is durable and plus it has a great container to keep them in. 
 This was a Short O Lollipop Sort that I used at the beginning of the year.  We reviewed with it this week, and they flew threw this station.  I loved that because it gave some of them some issues in the beginning, and now- they were really good at doing this one and using their time wisely.  Plus, they were able to write sentences with these words after they finished sorting.  How they have already grown in just two months!


 The pink and yellow cards are from a station where we added -s and -ing to words.  They had a recording sheet that went with this one.  They were color-coded so that they knew to add -s to the green cards and -ing to the pink cards. 
The last one for today is the Noun station.  This is a Noun Sorting Activity where they have a sheet that allows them to sort nouns into people, animals, places, and things.  There are also a couple of verbs thrown in that they have to list at the bottom in the Not a Noun table.
      I really seriously love index cards and Avery labels! 

1 comment:

  1. I love the cards too! &... I don't think I can live without the Avery labels. :-) Thanks for sharing your Word Work ideas.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete